16 December 2008

The Earth Moved

LUND--The bed was shaking, the shelves were rattling, somewhere, no doubt, people were screaming. At approximately 6:20 this morning an earthquake of around 4.7 on the Richter scale hit Skåne. We both woke up and lay for a moment feeling the strangeness of the entire world around us move, the sounds of grinding and rattling coming from every direction. We both jumped up and could feel the floor shake under our feet.

I said, "Hmm, It's an earthquake."

Lena said, "Yes it is."

It stopped.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's exciting! Nothing like a good earthquake to shake one up.
-Pat

11:18 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Unexpected, I'll tell you. Haven't felt one since growing up in California. Even all that time in Central America and no earthquakes. Well, I guess I had to move to Sweden for earthquakes and street violence!

7:00 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to, like, every other morning in Japan. I kind of miss them, to be honest.

We had a large one hit (actuallly a major disaster several hours north) while I was teaching one evening. I looked around nervously, and when I looked back, my entire class had vanished.

Eventually I realized that, well-trained as they were, they had all instantly gotten under the table.

-Kendric

7:46 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

I like the image of the vanishing Japanese class!

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home