05 June 2008

...


LUND--This was my last day in class. My teacher sent me home early because, well, I fell asleep in front of my computer and she knew it was my last day. It was done with no malice. In fact she was quite solicitous about the state my my stress level. She sent me home for my own good. I tried to take all my checked-out books and CDs back to the library but it was closed. Then I went to Burger King and bought two 10 crown hamburgers. Then I sat on the Patio of the Olde Bull and drank comparatively cheap Fosters and wrote a very long and complicated essay on my time in Swedish class that I very much would like to write down again on this computer bloggy thing. But not now. And then I called Jake and he was in a meeting and then called Pat and he was about to leave on his motorcycle and then I called Rob and his phone was about to die and he was at work anyway because it is six hours earlier and Lena was at a newspaper work party. But then I called Jake back and we planned a trip to the best restaurants of Paris and talked of every other thing. I called him back at Seattle's, where we met and which, they say, is going to close. He put me on the phone with the people who are always there and were. They said hello. We spoke of Swedish film and of Indiana Jones and of the things we are going to try our damn best to do. And SKYP kept cutting out and we were about done anyway. So I sat and wrote a while and then Lena called and was on the bus home from Malmo and so I stopped writing, picked up my camera and went out the door to the station to meet her.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lena said...

Why? Why are they closing Seattles? Don't they want me to come back to Wooster?

7:32 PM  
Blogger Here, In My Head said...

I thought they were just changing locations! At least that's what the Wilsons told me in April.

Great. Now what I am supposed to do in Wooster?

10:58 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

I know. But I talked to Jake the other day and so it is said that it is closing, fairly soon as well. I guess the lease is up and they didn't get the new location. I don't really know all the details. But sad, very sad and one of the great reasons to be in Wooster. Seattle's was a very important place in my life for the last years. I met you there, Jake there and a lot of other people...Not much reason to come back to the US now is there... well, other than I guess I can see my friends and family somewhere other than Seattle's... If I have to.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Jesse R Ewing said...

Yes, Seattle's is closing. Ron's Color Shop just closed its doors at the end of last month. I've heard there are a number of places downtown that are on their way out. Businesses just can't afford to pay their leases in Wooster. It's quite sad.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sucks.

So. Are ya'll moving to Sweden?

2:01 PM  
Blogger Here, In My Head said...

With Seattle's closing, it's like a HUGE chapter in my life coming to an end. :(

Moving to Sweden sounds lovely right about now.

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude I need a pair of goggles like that! They would be perfect for wearing while tooling around on my new motorcycle. Yeah Seattles is closing and this upcomming weekend is to be the last Javapalooza. So sad...
-Pat

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a huge chapter. I took perhaps the first (newspaper) photo of Krajcik playing there not long after the Wilson's took over the place. I had never really gone there before. But then I left for Honduras and missed eight months or so. But it was the first place I stopped into when I got off the bus coming home from that trip. I worked there then a while, made lifelong friends. And then it was the place I went, for coffee, for nights out, for conversation. It was usually the last place I went before leaving town and the first to come back to to see what had happened in my absences. Before leaving I helped film part of a movie there. And in the minutes before leaving Shelly bought me a Guinness before Jake drove me to the airport for my flight to Sweden. And now I will miss the last hurrah. I am saddened by that but perhaps it is fitting and best. It is often like that when you travel a lot. You return and nothing is the same. People have gone, moved on, found different lives. The places you used to go have closed or changed. They wouldn't be the same anyway. New crowds, your time forgotten. But Seattle's, for the last seven or more years, has always been there. Now it won't be.

12:13 PM  
Blogger K. Tonn said...

Ach, that's terrible news. THis is going to be a worse summer at home than previously anticipated.

1:07 PM  
Blogger Ab said...

Pilot to bombardier... LOVE THE GOGGLES!!!!
Drop me an email sometime when you're not so busy playing with the Russians! Be safe and watch your back. Make them sip your brandy before you take a drink. You're too pretty to be Boris' bitch. Besides, Lena misses you. Peace and Love!!!! P.S. Sad about Seattles......

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home