09 June 2008

Leaving, Well, Yes, On A Presumably Jet-Powered Plane and All That

LUND--The sky is now at 0130 as dark as it is going to get. My bags are packed and I am about ready to go. Backpack closed and empty day-pack strapped down over it. All the batteries are charged for the Panasonic and the Sony and the Leica. There is plenty of film for the other one. I have tapes and they are bringing me more. We had dinner out and some funny random conversations. Now Lena is asleep on the couch, keeping me silent company in this ersatz ready-room and I appreciate that very much for she has to work tomorrow morning and I am about done, manana I just get to wrap up inconsequential details and fret.

I went to class today because there was a field trip. On it I met a guy from Costa Rica, married to a Svensk Kvinna, moved here three weeks ago. We spoke of Sweden and Central America and a lot of the rest of the world along with Anders, one of the teachers, a good man and a good friend of Lena's friend.

I will be leaving this place, on my own, for the first time. I have never spent a night away from Lund before, after moving here, without Lena. I am not shutting the door on my house to leave it cool and silent until I return. I am leaving a woman I want to return to. When I come back it will not smell still and dark.

We went out for dinner. I decided I wanted a hamburger and fries for a last meal here. I am an American. We saw funny drunk Swedes and talked to Brits. And we came home and I did the things that I have done so many times, pulling zippers and changing batteries and checking again if all the things I have to have are going with me. Passport and money, can't do anything without them. Then cameras and their accessories. Then minor things like clothing and toothbrush. So it all seems to be there. It was all mostly packed anyway. And then I went to bed.


Blogger Fredrik said...

Best of luck!
Looking forward to the stories when you come back.

1:40 AM  
Blogger Lena said...

Yes, I will be here.

5:03 AM  
Blogger Ab said...

See if they will let you actually perform surgery this time out. Seems to be a reasonable request...

8:46 AM  
Blogger Journal of An Artist said...

Well it's Tuesday where you are, so I'll go ahead and say "welcome back". I hope your trip went really well.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Andrew Tonn said...

I have returned to Sweden. It was one of the most grueling travel days I have ever had. Left before 0700, driven by my excellent host and driver and translator/fixer Arpad. Crossed the border from Ukraine into Hungry and then to the nearest train station. The train to Budapest which, luckily, stopped across the street from Ferihegy airport. I got there about 1300 and my flight was supposed to leave sometime after 1900 but was put off eventually almost four hours. I finally got into Malmo Sturup after 0100 and no one was there. Luckily there was a bus, which went through half of Malmo before dropping me in Lund after 0230. I hiked home with well over 100 lbs of gear in the rain, in a rather foul mood but then to be greeted by Lena in obvious distress who then told me her father had died suddenly the night before. It has been a sad homecoming. I liked him very much. But it is good to be home and to be of some use.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home